Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Chancellor's Pre-Budget Tinker

I usually try to refrain from making political comments. Having worked in Westminster, I'm only too well aware of the very real difficulties that Governments face when trying to set new policy - and by and large I'm sympathetic to the struggles of the Government to try to meet so many competing demands. But I'm going to break my rule today, and wonder what on earth our esteemed Chancellor was up to today...

I haven't seen the pre-budget report in detail...but I gather that he has imposed an increase in fuel tax of 1.5p per litre on petrol, and doubled the modest tax on air-line travel (up from £5 to £10 for short-haul flights).

As a Christian I believe passionately that we should be doing all we can to look after our planet. According to the wonderful, mythological book of Genesis, God gave humankind the planet, with the charge that we were to "rule over it and take care of it". Care for the environment has thus been a vital message of the Judeo-Christian tradition for millennia. (The Jews were letting land lie fallow every seven years well before modern science confirmed the necessity of such a practice).

So you would expect me to support the Chancellor's increased travel taxes...wouldn't you? Well, no actually. As I understand it, there are no plans to use the newly raised revenue for investment in any new energy technology. The £1billion that will be raised from the new air-travel levy will simply go into the Exchequer. And surely, a mere £5 extra on an airline ticket to spain is hardly going to slow down our use of cheap flights to Ibiza. The cost of a couple of pints? I don't think so. 1.5p on a litre of fuel...about 60p for an average sized tank...that's not going to make many car drivers decide to take our woefully inadequate public transport on a wet, cold, English winter day.

No...today's exercise has simply been one of raising additional revenue for the Treasury - cloaked in the spin of 'being green'. I don't actually object to paying more taxes...we need more money for hospitals, schools and support for overseas aid and development. I simply object to being told that the extra tax I will pay is going to make a difference to the environment that I, as a Christian (and like so many others) would dearly love to protect for my grandchildren.

I strongly suspect we have been told a lie...and that's not something I expected from our Chancellor - a fellow Christian.

Please someone, tell me I'm wrong!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:22 pm

    Ref the use of public vehicles I saw in the paper that the use of such transport by the wrinklies of the nation is putting a strain on the local councils. How long will they be able to stand the pressure without increasing the rates to ensure that the wrinklies do in fact pay for the service whether or not they use it. Dad That is an increase in the number of comments on this blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:03 pm

    I agree it is a shame that the increased taxes will not go towards greener initiatives, (in fact we cannot assume it will go to any "beneficial causes", such is the nature of taxation).

    However I am also unsure that just increasing taxes is the answer. My concern would be that it will start to impact the less well off in the community first.

    I think that the start point is increasing peoples awareness of the impact their lifestyle has on the environment, and inviting them to make choices (take the train not the car), then using an increase in taxation to support the choices they have opted to make.

    Its time to start "living litely" rather than "I want it all"

    Perhaps e-men should debate this?

    ReplyDelete