Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Al Quaeda and Salman Rushdie: Free Speech Rides Again

SO, according to the latest bile to pour forth from the Mad Mullahs of Al Quaeda, a targeted attack is due on the UK because of the awarding of a knighthood to Salman Rushdie.

All major political parties have rallied behind the Government on this one - saying that the Sovereign's choices about whom she wishes to award an honour to must never be the subject of intimidation. "Freedom of speech is a fundamental freedom in this country," said Conservative home affairs spokesman David Davis.

"Rhubarb and Rubbish" says I. If 'freedom of speech' means freedom to insult whoever I want, I don't want it. Jesus' disciple (and possibly half brother) James wrote in his short letter that the tongue is an extremely dangerous thing. And he was right.

When I was a lad, they taught me that 'sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will never hurt you'. More rhubarb and rubbish. Hurtful words can be some of the most hurtful things. If you punch me, I'll recover. If you insult me, put me down, tell me I'm useless - that could affect me for life.

Of course I don't for a second think that Salman Rushdie should be hounded by fatwahs for his writings. That's an extreme reaction to a minor issue. (Does is really matter what one writer says in a novel?). But to give him a knighthood, knowing full well that it would cause offence, and lead extremists to do extremist things - was just plain stupid.

There.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:11 am

    But the Knighthood was given for telling a story. Isn't a religion big enough to be able to cope with an obvious story. Grief, the Bible has had enough said about it. When Monty Python "Life of Brian" came out society was going to crumble beneath us! It didn't and its now just a humorous film that upsets no one. Religions should rise above the ramblings one one person. He writes good stories. Let him have his Knighthood!! There!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anonymous...you again! I see that posting contraversial opinions solicits more reactions - I shall have to do more of these!

    I hear what you say (and I love the Life of Brian!). My point is that to give Rushdie a knighthood, when you know, without doubt that it will provoke a violent reaction from madmen, is like running into the Finsbury Park Mosque and shouting "Mohammed is the Devil" at the top of your lungs. It would simply be a stupid thing to do.

    The world would be no different if Rushdie had not been knighted. It is considerably more dangerous now that he has been. I call that stupid.

    There. There!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:09 pm

    Tom... do you believe that we must never do anything if it is to offend someone who might be a bit of a madman. We all try to find a quiet path through life but sometimes it is good to ruffle a few feathers, it helps to bring out the other side of people

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous... ruffling a few feathers seems to have been the result of this blog as it happens! Good stuff!

    Actually, I think I want to stick to my guns on this one. I believe that in the current climate of Muslim extremism, it was simply a stupid thing to do to stoke the fires of anti-British hatred by giving Rushdie a knighthood. I wonder how may British soldiers have been killed in recent weeks as a result of increased anger towards the British following Rushdie's knighthood? I wonder if any of them would think the knighthood was a good thing?

    Thanks for responding to this! Debate is great!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete